Thursday, March 31, 2011

On Multiple Fronts the Day After the Long Visit Yesterday

Yesterday was a lovely day spent with a dear, longtime friend. We've known each other since junior high and what a delight to still be getting together to gab and gossip and drink wine. On the Fur front... When my friend was in the house yesterday, Bonnie was almost absent. She threw her squinty eyed hateful looks from her perch on the lap top. Clyde was all over our guest and telling all sorts of lies about how awful Momma is. Later in the evening Bonnie made multiple brief appearances. As the evenong wore on later both Bonnie and Clyde were clearly ready for bed...and Momma wasn't showing any signs of heading in that direction. There was much pacing in the hallway and urgent looks at us. They finally gave up and perched on the arm and back of my chair grudgingly settling in for the long haul. Finally the company left and Momma went to bed! My goodness it was late. There was some jumping and leaping about on the bed and the chair before finally settling down. Even though I was tired, I still picked up my hefty 800+ page paperback and dove into the Kalihari desert of Africa. Before I knew it, it was after midnight! Needless to say, I am dragging today. It's kinda nice to not have an early alarm. On the Fiber front... I did some knitting as my friend and I traveled about in our visiting. Today I've been working on a pair of socks for a friend. I had started the socks for myself, but my friend was so complimentary about the colors that I decided to make them for her. This is a yarn that I've not worked with before. I found it in the sock yarn area at Joann's. It's Bernat Mosaic in the colorway called Psychedelic. It's thicker than sock yarn. Hopefully I'll get a full pair out of it. I'm knitting my standard sock (Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd) and using size 3 needles. The yarn is bulky enough that I've only had to cast on 40 stitches. The intended feet are size 11, so I'm thinking I'll make the foot 9 inches before starting the toe decreases. Entertainment while knitting today has involved my Molly Piglet. She's a happy assistant. Despite periodic interruptions to throw the crusty hedgehog, I've been able to get the sock knitted to the foot and I've got almost 5 inches of the foot done. Molly also carefully has licked my right calf from ankle to knee. (Silly me didn't know I needed that extra gold medal service.) Molly and I are working on her recalls in the house and breaking her concentration when she's prey focused on the kitties. She's done well with it today. The Piglet is highly motivated by food and this chicken jerky stuff must be tasty as she will come a running for it. We've also been working on sit and down. Clyde has done his part to be a distraction on the dog training front. The clunking, thunking, and shifting noises from my room indicate that both B&C are in on the dog training. They've given it up for the time being, or perhaps it's a union break, but things are quiet now. The rest of my knitting entertainment, I know...as if knitting isn't entertainment enough, is movies on Netflix. Today I've enjoyed Ladies in Lavender and Good Will Hunting. I'm currently mired down mid-way through A River Runs Through It. I've not seen this one and it's quite slow...or maybe it seems slow because I'm tired of sitting and knitting. Enough for now. Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment